Super League: Week 3 Results

Austin Brewin photo

For Immediate Release

March 28, 2011

Rugby Super League: Week 3 Results

BOULDER, Colo. - Week three of the Rugby Super League (RSL) season finished Saturday with the top teams in the competition starting to pull away in the standings.  There are still four unbeaten teams and three sides still searching for their first win.

The Red Conference saw San Francisco Golden Gate (2-0) beat the visiting Utah Warriors (2-1) on Treasure Island and Old Puget Sound Beach (2-0) run up the score on the Dallas Harlequins (0-2) in Dallas.  Life University (2-0) beat 2010 RSL Champions New York Athletic Club (1-1), Boston (1-1) got a win over Old Blue (0-2), and the Chicago Lions (2-0) beat the Chicago Griffins (0-2) to win Windy City bragging rights.

Next week there will be one less unbeaten team as undefeated sides Old Puget Sound Beach and San Francisco Golden Gate go toe-to-toe in Seattle.

Week 4 - April 2, 2011                                                           

Denver Barbarians @ Dallas Harlequins, 3:00 p.m.

San Francisco Golden Gate @ Old Puget Sound Beach, 3:00pm

Boston Rugby @ Chicago Lions, 1:30 p.m.

Life University @ Chicago Griffins, 1:00 p.m.

Old Blue New York @ New York Athletic Club, 1:00 p.m.



In Texas, visiting Old Puget Sound Beach (OPSB) put the Dallas Harlequins to the sword by a score of 69-13, taking the win on a hot and windy afternoon. The Dallas Harlequins played a very physical game and made the visitors work hard for their scores. Pack leader Matt Trouville summed it up well, "We didn't have any chance to rest out there, Dallas is a very opportunistic side."  OPSB received a bulk of their scores from the usual suspects on the wings as Bobby Fitzpatrick put down two tries only to be one upped by Filimoni Botitu with three, as OPSB continues their impressive run and move into a three way tie on top of the standings.


In perhaps the most intriguing game of the day, San Francisco Golden Gate (SFGG) defeated the Utah Warriors 32-8.  The halftime score was 10-8, with Daniel LaPrevotte and Saimone Lauaupaleau notching the unconverted tries for SFGG.   Golden Gate coach Paul Keeler is happy enough with the result, though he is still concentrating with getting the side to gel, avoiding mistakes like trying to force the game and not sticking with the game plan.  A couple of SFGG defensive miscues were exploited by Utah's Mike Palefau who notched a try, and the Warriors added a penalty in the first. 

In the second half, SFGG added scores through another from LaPrevotte, and one each from Hector Quiles, Folau Moleloa and Damian Fatognia.  Volney Rouse added a conversion to finish out the scoring.  Keeler liked what he has seen from Utah so far, saying they are "a great addition.... and will be a huge asset to the league".  SFGG travels to take on Old Puget Sound Beach next week, while Utah has the week off.



Life University battling NYAC is one of the most anticipated games of the season, and a day that ended cold and wet could not deter the excited crowd.  "You'd be hard-pressed to find this caliber rugby from both teams at any other match in the US," said Life's Director of Rugby, Dan Payne.

Life came out strong and was first on the board first with a penalty kick from Aaron McMaster. They quickly followed with a breakaway run by Tui Osborne, which earned the Running Eagles their first try of the game.

NYAC's Pete O'Brien put up a penalty kick. After five phases, Osborne scored his second try from a cross-field kick by Pete Burt. Life led 13-3.  The Running Eagles got immediate control of the ball again from the kick-off and ran it in for another try by Steve Petzel. A good conversion by McMaster put Life ahead at the half 20-3.  Interestingly, these tries were scored despite playing a man down, with Life's number 8 Mary Aylor spending some time in the sin-bin after being judged to have committed a deliberate knock-on.

The second half went much better for NYAC, as the visitors put more pressure on Life and were within striking distance several times. NYAC got the only score of the second half from Steve Annunziato with 21 minutes remaining.

"The match did not end favorably for us. It was a very physical and high pressure match, which is exactly what we expected," said NYAC Head Coach Mike Tolkin. "We didn't come out of the gate strong enough and Life certainly capitalized on our errors. We played much better in the second half."

"The forwards played really well, and when the forwards have a good game it is contagious throughout the rest of the team," said Life's Osborne.

"Playing NYAC is always going to be a close game. The first half really won it for us and was a monumental effort by our players. We really enjoy playing NYAC and I wouldn't bet against us seeing them again later in the season," said Life Head Coach, James Isaacson. 


The Chicago Lions join Life at the top of the standings in the East Conference, as the Lions put together a solid performance to dispatch the cross town rivals the Chicago Griffins.  The Lions played error free rugby, controlling the game via a strong set piece platform and keeping turnovers to a minimum.  About a dozen penalties were conceded by the Griffins in the first half, ensuring they could not get any momentum going.  Griffins coach Wez Parkes pointed to the clearly superior Lions scrum as another major factor in the game.  Playing against the wind in the first half, Lion winger Jeff Nogaj contributed the first points of the game with a penalty kick, soon matched by the Griffins' Andrew Suniula.  Nogaj added an unconverted try later and added a couple of penalties to round out the first half scoring at 14-3 in the Lions favor. 

Chasing the wind in the second half, the Griffins were unable to claw their way back into the game, and it was the Lions who extended the lead fifteen minutes into the second half with a try through fullback Ben Purcell, converted by Nogaj.  A dominant scrum forced the Griffins to concede penalties and the Lions pinned the Griffins deep for much of the game.  Lions player representative, Chris McClennan, mentioned that the Griffins defended well throughout the game, but were never really able to get going.  Lions man of the match was center Matt Kelly, and along with the play of prop John Vitale may have caught the eye of USA Eagles head coach Eddie O'Sullivan, who was in attendance.


In a frigid Boston evening, the locals overcame Old Blue, winning 34-8.  Boston coach Mike Diamantopoulos says Old Blue had some bad luck to start, losing their flyhalf to injury in the first few minutes, and later in the half were playing a man down due to a yellow card.  Boston's Mike Bunce opened the scoring with a try in the 16th minute.  Anthony Adam started in place of Boston's injured Captain, Hugh Galligan, and Adam scored Boston's second try, also in the first half.  Old Blue responded with a Luke Hume penalty for a halftime score of 10-3.  Boston seemed to dominate the second half, especially in the backs, and added four more tries to their tally.  Derick Wovumba had two, and one each were scored by Kyle Marshall and Brian Regal.  Nick Elrick converted two to round off the scoring, which may have been higher but for a significant number of errors.

Further Information:

John Doody | Public Relations | Rugby Super League |

About Rugby Super League

The Rugby Super League is sanctioned by USA Rugby as the premier level of Men's Club competition in the USA.  The Rugby Super League is managed and administrated by the League within the guidelines of USA Rugby and is subject to the international laws of the game. The 2011 season will showcase 11 teams competing in two conferences with scheduled season play and two rounds of playoff games - culminating in the Rugby Super League Championship match on May 21, 2011. The competition runs from Mid-March to May each year.