Atlantic North Sees Semifinalists Get Into Championships

In the Atlantic North this weekend, teams in the Empire and New England Competitions engaged in their semifinal bouts leading into their championship matches this weekend.

New England Men's Division II:
Mystic River Barbarians took on the Boston Irish Wolfhounds, and in what was shaping up to be a close affair, Mystic pulled away in the end. The first half hour of the game was tightly contested with the Wolfhounds leading it, 12-7; but in the final ten minutes of the first half Mystic scored three tries to head into the break up 26-12. The two teams traded scores throughout the rest of the game but ultimately, it was that 10 minute flurry that proved the difference.

Newport vs. Worcester was the second semifinal, and it was all one-way traffic. Newport, blowing Worcester out of the water 64-10.

Empire Men's Division II:
Both games this weekend were the stories of two halves. In the Village Lions, Fairfield, game Fairfield jumped out to a massive 29-5 going into the sheds at halftime; however, the Lions came back in the second half and matched it with their opposition. The Lions outscored Fairfield in the second half but not by enough. Fairfield winning, 39-17.

The bout between Morris and New York Rugby was played out in a similar fashion. On this occasion, it was Morris that got out to the hot start opening up with a 21-0 lead over New York. Not going down without a fight, New York, came back and put up 21 points in the final half hour of the game, but were unable to stop Morris from crossing the line. Morris advances to the championship game to the with a, 34-21 win.

New England Division III:
New England's third division playoffs were two very contrasting contests. In the first game it was a blow out as Boston Maccabi put away North Shore without a second though 63-5. The other fixture between Providence and Charles River came down to the last play of the match. During the entire eighty minutes the two teams could not be separated. There were a total of five lead changes in the match, two of them coming in the final two minutes. In the 79th Providence crossed the line to retake the lead 24-22. However, it wasn't enough to lock the game up for them, as Charles River was able to kick a penalty on full time to escape the semis by the slimmest of margins. Charles River advances, 25-24.   

Empire Men's Division III:
Empire's third division was a similar story to their second division semis. There were some teams that were pushed and had to fight early on, but ultimately, they pulled through. The first semi between the Danbury Mad Hatters and Buffalo D3 ended up in a convincing 43-27 win to the Mad Hatters, but Buffalo had drawn within one point of the Mad Hatters but Danbury did not buckle under the pressure and were able to pull away. In the second match between Long Island and Lansdowne, Long Island was in control the whole way through winning, 35-17.