Exciting End to Frontier’s Championship Weekend

Over the weekend the Frontier Region held their championships with plenty of exciting matches.

Women's Division I: 
The Women's Division I weekend kicked off on Saturday with Glendale taking on Black Ice with the winner advancing to the Championship match against the Utah Vipers on Sunday. Black Ice shot out to an early 28-5 lead, but Glendale found their way back into the fray and with 20 minutes left trailed by only two points. However, any chance of a Glendale victory was snuffed out by a try with fifteen left. Black Ice advanced 35-26. 

Saturday was as good as it was going to get for Black Ice, as on Sunday Utah, put them away with ease. It was a tight first half with the Black Ice leading at one stage 12-10, however, in the second half the Vipers kicked it into gear and ran in 29 unanswered points to seal a spot in the National Quarterfinals courtesy of a 39-10 scoreline. 

Men's Division II:
In a battle of the undefeateds it was the Denver Barbarians taking on the Saint Louis Royals. It was again another tale of two halves. In the first the match saw 3 lead changes and the scores tied up once; however, just before the half Denver scored a try that would trigger a twenty-two point scoring spree, and created the separation needed for the Barbarians to put away the Royals. The final score was 56-30, Barbarians. 

Women's Division II:
Semifinals were played on Saturday with the winners advancing to Sunday's Championship in the Women's Division II competition. The first match up was between the Kansas City Jazz and the Kansas Bisons, with the Jazz coming out on top. In the second encounter it was the Wichita Valkyries coming up against a tough Saint Louis Sabres side. The Sabres ultimately prevailed. 

In the Championship match it was all one way traffic with the Sabres advancing through. They shot out to an early 19-0 lead and never looked back. The Jazz were able to launch a couple of attempts at getting back into the contest but all of their attempts were thwarted by the Sabred ability to answer almost immediately. The final score was 41-17. 

Men's Division III:
In the closest of all of the championship matches this weekend, the Wichita Barbarians outlasted the Colorado Springs Grizzles, 37-34. The Barbarian's jumped out of the gates to an early 18-0 lead with only twenty-five minutes gone in the game; by halftime they had a commanding 25-5 lead. When it was extended early in the second half to a 32-5 lead it looked as if it was all over. However, the Grizzles fought back and scored 24 unanswered points to be within three points of drawing level, with only ten minutes left. The Barbarians woke from their hibernation and scored in the 74th minute to give them some breathing space, and despite a late try to the Grizzlies the damage had been done and the Barbarians advance.